15
Nov

Radfield Home Care Mentors Kingston University Students

Shamsah Lalji Read 72 times

Radfield Home Care Richmond, Kingston and Hounslow owner, and director Shamsah Lalji wanted to give something back to the community and decided to join Kingston University’s ‘Beyond Barriers’ mentoring scheme. The scheme helps the second year, third year and postgraduate students from traditionally under-represented groups achieve their full potential through a tailored one to one relationship.1

what mentorship means at kingston university 

Picture: Mentors working in groups to define what mentorship means to them. This year, there are 225 mentors signed up to the programme.

The scheme runs from November to May and requires a commitment of two hours per month. At the end of the scheme, the Vice-Chancellor presents all participants with a certificate at a special award ceremony.

The scheme is available to

• Black and minority ethnic students
  • Female science, engineering, technology, maths, and the built environment students
  • KU Cares students
  • LGBT+ students
  • Mature students
  • Students with a learning difference or disability
  • White males who are first in their family to attend higher education

As a mentor, Ms Lalji will offer invaluable support to a student through one to one mentoring and help him achieve his potential. Shamsah explains,

I always strive to make a difference in people’s lives and when I heard about the ‘Beyond Barriers’ mentoring scheme at the Kingston Chamber of Commerce Networking Breakfast event, I knew I wanted to join. I am keen to share the knowledge and experiences I have gained over the course of my career with students and help them achieve their full potential.”

Jenni Woods, Head of Access, Participation & Inclusion at Kingston University 

Picture: Jenni Woods, Head of Access, Participation & Inclusion, Kingston University, provides a background on the student demographics at the university.

The ‘Beyond Barriers’ mentoring scheme mentors can offer impartial advice, encourage new experiences and positive choices and help to inspire self-confidence in mentees.

Jenni Woods, Head of Access, Participation & Inclusion, Kingston University explained,

Kingston University is a diverse community and this is something we are really proud of. Over 60% of our students come from an underprivileged background and ‘Beyond Barriers’ is part of a programme of support for students to help them achieve their full potential.”

If you would like to learn more about the scheme, please email beyondbarriers@kingston.ac.uk or call 020 8417 4038.

For more information about Radfield Home Care, please email richmond.kingston@radfieldhomecare.co.uk or call 02086 109 778.

1 Be a mentor via Kingston University mentoring scheme

Next steps