We're here for you

03301 757 695

National Office

National Office

Please enter the office location/term above to receive results for your closest office as well as information matches

Staying hydrated on the go

9 August 2021

Latest News

Written byPhil MacKechnie

Staying hydrated on the go

We hear it all the time, “make sure you stay hydrated!” and “did you drink enough water today?” but as a busy care professional, you may be thinking to yourself “I simply don’t have time”. Staying hydrated won’t solve all of your problems, but healthy drinking habits can certainly help alleviate a bit of stress. According to stress.org:

“There is, in fact, a chemical reason why you get more stressed, as when you’re even mildly dehydrated cortisol levels in the body increase. Cortisol production is triggered by the stress response. And one way to balance these chemicals in your brain? Drink more water.”

So, let’s look at what you can do to stay hydrated on the go.

Keep a bottle of water in the car

Care professionals providing care in older people’s homes is a bit different to providing care in a residential setting. It can often require a lot of travelling between clients’ with not much time to stop and take a break, so keep a bottle of water in the car so that you can drink on the go.

Try not to pick a bottle that’s too big as you may not be able to drink it properly whilst driving. Aim for around 750ml, big enough to last a few journeys but small enough to not get in the way. Alternatively for the environmentally conscious, grab yourself a reusable water bottle. They’re found in most major supermarkets nowadays so they’re easy to find!

Pick foods that will hydrate you

Believe it or not, only 80% of our body’s hydration comes from fluids. The other 20% actually comes from the food we eat. Choosing the right snacks on the go can help you stay hydrated, keep those stress levels down and allow you to do what you do best, care!

Here’s a few examples of some seriously hydrating food sources:

  • Watermelon
  • Peaches
  • Strawberries
  • Oranges
  • Cucumber

Whilst carrying around an entire watermelon would be very cumbersome, you can pick up packs of sliced melon/fruit pots in the ‘meal deal’ section of most supermarkets. Things like oranges and peaches can be kept in your bag ready for lunch time and cucumber can be incorporated into your sandwich!

Staying hydrated on the go

Grab a coffee

If the taste of water really isn’t your thing, it’s worth remembering that any fluids count toward your hydration needs. As mentioned in our ‘Hydration Myth Busting’ article, coffee will keep you hydrated and you can conveniently pick it up from drive-through coffee shops on your way to and from your client’s.

A little morning pick-me-up and hitting some hydration goals at the same time, just remember to go easy on the caffeine. It can have an adverse effect on your sleep if you’re drinking it late in the day, which in turn will affect your mood, performance and concentration.

If you would like to find out more about Radfield Home Care and how you can join the team, you can visit www.radfieldhomecare.co.uk or contact your local office.


Phil MacKechnie

Phil MacKechnie

Franchise Development Director

My passion is to help home care business owners start and grow their businesses and promote Radfield’s purpose and mission.

Read more

Useful links

Read full Radfield story Contact us Join our team

Find care near you...

Get in touch with your local Radfield Home Care office today and find out more about the support we offer and the difference we can make.